Adam Afriyie, the MP for Windsor, is encouraging the public to join the collective response by the No 3rd Runway Coalition (N3R Coalition) opposing expansion at Heathrow. The N3R Coalition are an umbrella group representing nearly every major anti-3rd Runway pressure group.
The N3R Coalition is asking members of the public to download and sign a document expressing their opposition to a 3rd Runway at Heathrow. Anyone can let the government know about their concerns by downloading the template here, signing it and emailing it to RunwayConsultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk.
The N3R Coalition is backed by Conservative, Labour and Liberal Democrat MPs as well as five borough councils, Stop Heathrow Expansion, RAAN (Ascot, Bracknell, Winkfield), the Eton Community Association and more.
The signatures is part of the N3R Coalition’s response to the government’s consultation regarding its recently revised draft National Policy Statement.
The MP for the Windsor constituency, Adam Afriyie welcomed the figures:
“As a founding member of the No 3rd Runway Coalition I am very proud of this latest step to ensure that the voices of ordinary people affected by a 3rd Runway is heard loud and clear.
“Expanding Gatwick would be better for the environment, cheaper for the taxpayer and wouldn’t come with the significant legal challenges that a 3rd Runway at Heathrow faces.
“Every day the case against expansion at Heathrow gets stronger. Recently the Government released its revised figures as part of its extended consultation. They showed that the passenger benefits of a new runway at Heathrow had previously been overestimated and that an additional runway at Gatwick would be better for the economy.
“I welcome the Government’s transparency and willingness to listen to people on this subject and very much hope that they will quickly come to a decision that an additional runway at Gatwick makes better sense
“I would encourage all my constituents to spend a few minutes by joining in this response and ensuring that the Government is aware of the overwhelming grassroots opposition to this misguided proposal for a 3rd Runway at Heathrow.”
Note to editors
- Adam Afriyie is the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoy to Ghana.
- He has a strong background in science, technology and innovation.
- He is currently Chairman of the Fintech APPG, Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST) and President of the Conservative Technology Forum (CTF).
- He was shadow Minister for Science from 2007-2010 and has a background in the information services and technology sector.
- To sign the N3R Coalition pledge please download and sign the document here and email it to RunwayConsultation@dft.gsi.gov.uk.
- Adam has opposed a 3rd Runway at Heathrow consistently since he first became an MP in 2005. To read more about is campaign please click here.